Hydrating Foods for Hot Summer Days
[Simple + Refreshing Recipes]
Maria Sollon MS, CSCS, PES
Simmer down, summer!
When the heat cranks up and humidity hits, your body sends an SOS for some cool, refreshing comfort. Say hello to the ultimate chill pill with some mouthwatering treats! These hydration heroes will leave you feeling as cool as a cucumber on a scorching day! So let’s embrace the summer sizzle with a delightful twist of some of my favorite summer quenchers!
BEAT THE HEAT SERIES OVERVIEW
This is Part-3 of the Beat the Heat Series and it’s all about keeping your body hydrated with thirst quenching foods that your body will love.
If you’re just tuning in now, check out the previous blogs for the complete program and information.
Now let’s get to the juicy, cool, and yummy recipes that your body will love!
HYDRATING + REFRESHING RECIPES
Hydration isn’t just about drinking water. There are many hydration-friendly foods that pack a hydrating punch that can make your hottest summer days more enjoyable.
Since the summer heat is in full swing, making refreshing, mouthwatering treats is the cue for what your body will crave! No-one wants to spend all day in the kitchen, especially when it’s nice outside. So I’d like to share three simple and refreshing summer recipes that contain only 3 ingredients each! It’s a perfect way to stay hydrated and nourished during the hot days!
NOTE: All recipes are prepared for 2 servings. Double the recipe if prepping more servings.
#1: Frozen Fruit Sorbet – Cubes – Popsicles
Enjoy a refreshing, revitalizing, and hydrating frozen treat after your workouts or as a delicious snack on a hot day! These frozen fruity snacks can be made to your liking as smooth sorbet, frozen fruit cubes, or frozen pops on a stick!
1. 2 cups of mixed fresh or frozen fruits (ex: berries, mango, kiwi, watermelon)
2. 1 cup of coconut water
3. Optional: lime/ lemon juice, herbs (ex: mint, basil, rosemary)
• Blend the mixed fruits and coconut water until smooth.
• Add a splash of additional coconut water if it needs more to blend.
• Sorbet: Pour the mixture into a cup and enjoy!
• Cubes or Popsicles: Pour into an ice cube tray or into popsicle molds and insert popsicle sticks
• Freeze for at least 4 hours or until solid.
#2: Creamy Avocado Hummus
For those who love veggies and dips, this ones for you! This creamy hummus is packed with healthy fats and plant-based protein to keep you fueled and satisfied.
4. 1 ripe avocado
5. 1 can (15 oz) of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6. Juice of 1 lemon
7. Optional: seasonings (ex: sea salt and pepper)
• In a food processor or blender, combine the ripe avocado, chickpeas, and lemon juice.
• Blend until smooth and creamy, adding a little water if necessary to achieve your desired consistency.
• Serve with veggie sticks, whole-grain pita, or use it as a spread on your favorite wraps and sandwiches.
#3: Refreshing Blueberry Lime Smoothie
Sip on this invigorating blueberry lime smoothie after your workouts or as a quick pick-me-up to beat the heat. It’s loaded with hydration and natural sweetness.
8. 3 cups of fresh blueberries (or watermelon, cubed and seedless)
9. Juice of 2 limes
10. 1 tablespoon of agave syrup (or any other natural sweetener, optional)
• In a blender, combine the blueberries, lime juice, and agave syrup (if using).
• Blend until smooth and pour into glasses.
• Garnish with a lime slice and a sprig of fresh mint if desired.
Enjoy sipping, savoring, and keeping cool with these healthy treats that your body will love all summer long!
Stay tuned for the grand finale, Part-4, of the Beat the Heat Blog Series! It’s coming in hot with a summer stretching routine that will complement your strong and hydrated body.