Welcome back, to Part-3 of the Summer Remix Series!
If you are just diving in now, be sure to check out the previous blogs to get the full program details and start from the top!
It’s time to incorporate mobility and flexibility exercises into the mix. These movements not only enhance your range of motion but also contribute to your overall balance, coordination, and stability. Let’s dive in and discover why training mobility and flexibility are crucial aspects of your fitness journey.
The Power of Mobility & Flexibility
Mobility exercises target your joints, muscles, and connective tissues, allowing you to move freely and efficiently. By incorporating mobility movements into your routine, you improve your functional movement patterns, prevent injuries, and enhance your overall athletic performance.
Flexibility training is an essential part of a fitness routine that goes hand in hand with mobility. Your muscles contract to strengthen, but they also need to elongate back to their resting length for recovery. When your muscles are more mobile and fluid, your body will perform daily tasks and activities with greater ease.
So, don’t overlook the power of mobility and flexibility—it’s the key to unlocking your body’s full potential!
WORKOUT #3: Mobility + Flexibility
Let’s rock out the final workout of the series by challenging your skills! These movements will challenge your inner strength to stabilize, utilize your coordination, and core strength. Move slowly with control, that in itself will set the challenge level high!
Set Up: no accessories (glide board only), low level (suggested: 1-2 incline) (lower is harder)
Option: for an extra upper body challenge, add hand weights to any of these exercises
• Set a timer or timer APP.
• Perform the exercises in the order listed in circuit format.
• Perform 60-90 seconds (each side), then move on to the next exercise taking little to no rest in between.
• Complete as many rounds as your time permits.
• You have the option to perform this as a single workout circuit, combine it with Parts-1 and 2, OR incorporate the movements along with your other routines.
• FULL SUMMER REMIX WORKOUT: Once you’ve learned all three routines with good form, “remix” them together for a complete strength, cardio, and flexibility workout!
1. Runners Lunge & Twist (face away)
Focus: core balance, ankle stability, move slowly with a controlled movement to enhance mobility and flexibility.
• Stand at the bottom base facing away from your glide board.
• Soften the knees to find balance on 1 leg. Slowly place the ball of the other foot on the GB. Hands can be placed on hips, crossed in front of chest, or behind head to keep chest lifted.
• Maintaining balance and begin to open the GB to achieve a lunge. At the bottom of the motion, rotate the torso over the front knee. Aim to open the arms to reach 1 to the floor or side of shin and the other overhead.
• Return to starting position and repeat.
• Repeat on both sides
2. Inner Thigh Slides
Focus: Strengthens and lengthens the inner thighs while externally rotating through the hips. Core stability, balance, and control are required to open and close the GB with control.
• Stand at the bottom base facing the side with the feet slightly externally rotated (toes + knees angled outward).
• Place 1 foot on the glide board in an externally rotated position to match the foot on floor with the knees slightly bent to start. Extend arms out to sides for balance and control.
• Begin to open the glide board and extend both legs as if performing a split (move slowly so you maintain control so that the glide board doesn’t open beyond your comfort level).
• Maintaining a neutral spine at all times.
• Hold for a moment in the split position, feel the inner thighs shake, then slowly return to the starting position to repeat.
• Perform on both sides.
3. Down Dog / Dolphin Slides
Focus: Improve shoulder strength, mobility, flexibility, and range of motion in the joints while strengthening the core.
• Stand at the bottom base facing the vertical column.
• Place your hands on the sides of the glide board then press out to a plank position, then shift the hips up and back into a down dog position keeping the glide board open. (This will help you know if you need to adjust your body position).
• Open the glide board more by sliding Slide into a forearm plank, achieving an elongated spine from head to heels.
• Pike the hips back up while simultaneously extending the arms into the down dog position.
• Repeat this motion slowly with control and keep the core engaged at all times!
• Note: a lower glide board is more challenging for your upper body and core strength. Please adjust the incline to a higher position to keep your form on point!).
Bonus: Plank challenge (hold 30+ seconds)
You have many options on this one! If you typically perform a plank a certain way, try to remix your move by attempting a different variation. Here’s some options to choose from:
• Closed vs open glide board
• Kneeling with the glide board closed
• Legs extended with the glide board open
• Arms extended (full plank) vs forearm plank
• Face the vertical column vs face away with hands / forearms on floor (advanced)
Check out the video demonstration to learn how to perform these mobility + flexibility exercises on your Total Gym.
Wrapping Up the 3-Part Series: A Total Gym Remix for Summer Success
Congratulations on completing the 3-part series on remixing your workouts with your Total Gym! We’ve covered the importance of changing up your routines both mentally and physically, introduced the benefits of cardiovascular training, strength exercises, core workouts, and expanded your repertoire with mobility and flexibility movements.
Now it’s time to combine them into endless combinations! Remember, this series is designed to be flexible and adaptable. You have the option to perform the workouts as single circuits, combine them into one comprehensive routine, remix your own workout using different exercises from each category or incorporate them into your existing workouts. The choice is yours! The possibilities are endless, and your body will love the variety.
By embracing the art of remixing your moves, you’ll keep your muscles engaged, your routine fresh, and your motivation soaring throughout the summer. Don’t be afraid to experiment, mix and match exercises, and discover new ways to challenge yourself. Let your creativity flow and enjoy the journey towards a fitter, stronger, and more vibrant you.
So, gear up, get moving on your Total Gym, and let the summer remix series inspire you to train hard all summer long!
The post Remix Your Summer Fitness Routine with this Total Gym Series – part 3 appeared first on Total Gym Pulse.